The company begin in 1892, founder Johnann Adolf Rohrer who a skilled lithographer began with the production of special graphic suppliments in the city of Leipzig Germany.
The original production facilities have been employed until 1982, when the company was relocated to the city of Zella-Mehlis in the midst of the Thuringian Forest.
After 1989, the company was readapted successfully to the new market by revising its sales and distribution policy. The products of Rohrer & Klingner are distributed around Germany and several other European countries.
Nowadays, already the fifth generation of employees maintains the firm’s long tradition of manufacturing ink and tusche as well as products for etching and lithography.
The Ink Story
Rohrer & Klingner continues an old tradition of ink production. Apart from classical tones (including two iron gall inks), several new colours are available, that have been developed for the primary purpose of calligraphy. On a traditional basis, the inks are produced with inter alia modern raw materials.
Our inks feature high-class, brilliant colourants, specially treated water and minimal amounts of additives. This well-balanced composition causes the optimal cappiliarity of the inks and the accordingly good writing conduct. It is suitable for pens, quills and other calligraphy utensils. Economical and ecological reasons make piston-filler pens and convertible pens particularily attractive. The convertible pen features a separate tank with a piston-filler.
On most writing surfaces (including paper) the ink adheres well and, according to its capillarity, quick. Each of the inks are treated with high quality, pleasant dyes, that feature both a high brilliance and a well-balanced intensity. The colours of the iron gall inks intensifies when it oxidises on the air; Hence, writings with those inks are considered permanent, the historical term being “archivally safe”.